Jardin verger potager de la Roche-Guyon
Both experimental and productive, the garden and orchard at La Roche-Guyon has rediscovered its great days of the 18th century.
The first garden surrounding the château of La Roche-Guyon was created along the Seine in the 17th century. Property of La Rochefoucauld family, it was refurbished and enlarged a century later. A document from 1741 includes a comprehensive list of the varieties then planted in the orchard: 675 trees, of which there were 442 pear and 143 apple trees, the rest being composed of plum and peach trees. Passionate about fruit growing, descendants of La Rochefoucauld family strove to make this garden a place of experimentation and production until the early 20th century.
Rented to a market gardener, then abandoned in the 1950s, the garden and orchard of La Roche-Guyon was restored starting in 2004 in an effort to recreate, as it once was, this exceptional garden. Today, it covers 3.5 hectares divided into several parts, each dedicated to different cultivations. Based on ecology, social integration and solidarity, the garden does not use pesticides but only alternative techniques. With all these commitments, to the great pride of its gardeners, the vegetable garden only produces AB certified organic products today.